Rev. George E. Lloyd began services in his home in 1903. A log church was constructed in 1904 and served until 1910. In 2010, the brick church celebrated 100 years of service. Below is a composite photo. On the left: 2010 Rector, Canon Michael Stonhouse, while to the right, the official dedication of the new church building in August 1910. Rev. Lloyd is in the centre, holding the Bible.
Report on growth of Anglican Church in the area, 1900 - 1925 - by Rev. English -click here
Above: The ceremonial laying of the cornerstone of St John's Minster Anglican Church - August 25, 1910
Clergy shown (l-r): Rev. J. D. Mullins, Secretary, Colonial and Continental Church Society; Rev. Principal (later Bishop) George Exton Lloyd; and Rev. C. Carruthers, then Rector of St. John's Minster.
(photo courtesy of Peggy Peckover and Sandy Hill - from Bordering on Greatness)
Above: The Old Minster after de-consecration and before being moved and restored.
Photo courtesy of the Lloydminster Regional Archives
For a list - and further information - about all Rectors at St. John’s Minster 1903 - 2013 -click here
Above: another photo taken August 25, 1910 of the ceremonial laying of the cornerstone for St. John’s Minster at its present (2013) location. Large brick building in the left rear was the high school. (photo courtesy of Peggy Peckover and Sandy Hill - from Bordering on Greatness)
Rev Lloyd’s original idea was that St. John’s [the mother church] would have many “daughter” churches to serve the surrounding districts. This came to pass, with more than a dozen at one point in time. The story of a few of these can be found here.
Every summer, there is a service in the “Old Minster” - the log church built in 1904 which was moved to the grounds of Weaver Park and resides there still. The church was visited there by Queen Elizabeth II in 1978 - an event which would have amazed and thrilled the “Brittania Colonists”. Pictured above is the service of the year 2000, presided over by Rev. Canon Don Byrt.
Historic documents - the first service in the log church was July 24, 1904. Those attending signed their names. This document is still kept at the local church but not preserved in any archival standards. For more -click here