Lloydminster Education Chronology
A school district was founded when the colonists arrived.
35 students – 1st teacher: Mr. Hartley. Classes were held in the old Anglican Church building, then the Medical Hall Drug Store
In June, the trustees invited tenders for the erection of a permanent school building.
When the two provinces were created, in Sept. 1905, the school district was ordered to break into two separate districts – Lloydminster School District No. 1036 (Saskatchewan) and 1753 (Alberta) for Alberta and one for Saskatchewan.
First school (two classrooms) opened (see Trek Thru Time for photograph) on 50th Ave. at the site of the current offices.
Martin Browne began his caretaking duties.
The demonstration farm in Vermilion became the Vermilion School of Agriculture.
Oct. 18, – first meeting of the board of trustees of the Lloydminster High School
High school board members made recommendations to work with the three other boards still in existence.
Meridian School was built.
Amalgamation Act –combined the two Lloydminster School Districts to form the Lloydminster Public School District, cancelling the joint board.
Mo Price came to Lloydminster as a teacher.
Neville Goss became secretary treasurer.
Lloydminster High School was built.
Old high school was torn down – a resolution was made to add four rooms and an auditorium to the Composite High School.
Prior to 1952, elementary classes were held in the old high school, Central Tire Shop, and Grace United Church
J. Giesbrecht resigned as principal of the high school to become superintendant.
Al Dornstauder became a teacher at the composite high school, and his friend Ian Conrad became the principal.
Martin Browne retired at the age of 83.
High School board was disorganized on Jan. 1st when all of the school districts were amalgamated as the Lloydminster Public School District.
Queen Elizabeth school was built.
Al Dornstauder became vice principal of the composite high school. George Jameson was the principal.
Avery School was built
Martin Browne School opened - named after long time Public School Caretaker - Martin Browne.
The first meeting of the "Lloydminster Retarded Children’s School Board."
Lloydminster Catholic School District was established.
Bev Henry began work as a secretary/receptionist
Lloydminster Junior High (later E.S. Laird) was in construction, Al Dornstauder became its first principal.
Mo Price was the elementary school principal for all of the schools.
Lou Crockett took his first teaching job at Meridian School.
First school for mentally challenged was a rented house at 5511- 47th St.
Neville Goss retired.
Jack Kemp became secretary treasurer.
the Lloydminster Minor Hockey Association was created meaning that hockey was no longer a part of the extra-curricular program at the schools.
Lloydminster Junior High opened
classes for mentally challenged students were held in the basement of the Meridian school, as the L.P.S.D. cooperated with the Lloydminster Retarded Children’s School Board
St. Thomas, the first school for the Lloydminster Catholic School District was opened.
Reeves Business College established by C.J. Reeves, a professional secretary and instructor
Lou Crockett taught at old Winston Churchill school until 1964.
Lloydminster School for Retarded Children was opened
Barr Colony School was built on 45th Ave.
Vermilion School of Agriculture became Vermilion Agricultural and Vocational College
St. Mary’s School opened in January for students from grades 9-12.
Lou Crockett became the vice principal of Queen Elizabeth School
The Mid Sixties
Technical/Vocational Education act came into effect which allowed for federal funding making the comprehensive high school possible.
Saskatchewan Education created the title of "director" and Jack Giesbrecht became the first person to hold that title in the Lloydminster Public School District
Lloydminster School for Retarded Children was taken over administratively by the Lloydminster Public School District and the name of the school was changed to Parkland School.
- Lloydminster Comprehensive High School opened (Al Dornstauder – first principal)
old Composite High School became Neville Goss Elementary School
elementary students were moved from Meridian school and moved to Neville Goss, Meridian School was renovated and became the division office, for a time they were in the front entrance of Neville Goss
the Lloydminster Catholic School District allowed the public district to take responsibility for the grades 10-12 students
St. Mary’s school became a junior high due to the fact that the public board had now assumed responsibility for Catholic high school students.
local teacher strike over workload and salaries. Lasted about two weeks.
Vermilion Agricultural and Vocational College became Vermilion College
all public elementary schools now had their own principal instead of a vice principal.
James Foster, minister of advanced education for Alberta; Peter Jenner and Dr. R. Rees, Deputy ministers of education on a fact-finding mission to ascertain the need for a community college in Lloydminster.
Jack Giesbrecht retired as director
Mo Price became director and Al Dornstauder became superintendant
Saskatchewan and Alberta reached an agreement to assist in the financing of an interprovincial college.
Lakeland College was created. Its administrative offices were located in Lloydminster, with a mandate to become a community college for north-eastern Alberta. The new College also took over the operations and assets of the existing Vermilion College
Barr Colony School was moved to its present location
first official central office for Lakeland College was moved into Nelson House, south of the Lloyd mall.
classes for Lakeland College, Lloydminster began in Autumn in the Meridian Building, which was being leased from the Lloydminster School Division. Lakeland College administrators, moved into the building later in the year.
due to growing student enrolment in the Catholic School Division, Father Gorman school was built.
Jack Kemp retired
new school division office opened in its present location.
Jack Kemp elected to first of three 3 year terms as board member
Bishop Lloyd Junior High opened
Lakeland College’s central office was re-located to Vermilion.
Early to Mid 1980’s
introduction of the Core French program was debated in the community
Lou Crockett became the principal of the new Winston Churchill school
St. Joseph’s School was opened.
the Queen Elizabeth addition was completed.
Lou Crockett went to central office as the "Supervising Principal"
the second floor was added to the Comprehensive high school
St. Thomas School became the only school to date to offer a French Immersion program in Lloydminster.
St. Mary’s School became Holy Rosary High School and the Catholic School District resumed educational responsibility for Catholic High School students in Lloydminster.
Dr. Don Duncan became director of education at the Lloydminster Public School Division (current director)
Rendell Park School opened
the first grade twelve class of Holy Rosary High School graduated in June
the "Supervising Principal" title was no more. Lou Crockett became a superintendant along with Morris Smith.
Lakeland College opened its newest building in Lloydminster – a $23 million dollar project.
Lakeland College, under the leadership of board chairman Ed Jensen, cooperated with the Bi-Provincial Upgrader Joint Venture to build a housing complex beside the college. The facility was originally used to house 3600 upgrader construction workers. It has since been used to accommodate students of the college.
The Late 1980’s
introduction of Sexual Abuse program in the public schools sparked some debate
a breakfast program began at Neville Goss
a native liaison officer was hired for the public school system (Mary Burock)
the Catholic School Board hired a native liaison officer.
Lou Crockett retired
the Aboriginal Family Literacy Project was initiated by the Lloydminster Native Friendship Centre and the LEARN program at Lakeland College.
new track put in at the high school in conjunction with the Alberta Summer Games
Bev Henry retired
Jack Kemp Elementary School opens – August 2000