The Lloydminster Art Club
Further to the story of LINDSAY EVANS, founder of the Lloydminster Art Club, Olinda has expanded on the art club, its personalities, and how it set the stage for the formation of the Lloydminster Allied Arts to be formed in 1974.
Olinda joined the club in 1946. She describes herself as a “Sunday painter” and was
inspired by the paintings of other members, as well as huge boxes of paintings,
which Lindsay would borrow from the Saskatchewan Arts Board.
These would be put out on tables in the Coop Boardroom for people to
view. Olinda recalls this being
done from 1946 through to the 1950’s.
Lindsay Evans had made a list of some of the members who participated in the club in these first years. They included Olinda Tindall, Jean King, Margaret Bailey, Enid Philpott, Vivian Procter, Evelyn Churchward, Mr. Hardy, Gordon Herrington, Marybelle Cameron, Joy Seabrook, Oliver Holtby, Janet Rogers, S. Robinson, Winnnie Salt, Doreen Plant, Elreta Taylor, Rosemarie Sturge, Howard Sturge, Tom Rackham, Mary Davies, Harold Davies, May Reeves, Maida Gee, Jim Anderson, Evelyn Ulrick. Lindsay Evans instructed the art class until 1952.
One of the highlights, in Olinda’s memories, was in 1964
when A.Y. Jackson, a friend of Lindsay Evans, and the last living member of the
“Group of Seven”, visited the Lloydminster Art Club. She recalls how they
traveled to Lee Park and sat on the hillside painting and has in her possession,
film made sitting on the banks over looking the Saskatchewan River.
In later years, the art club was instrumental in purchasing frames
through the Sports Council and Lottery Funding in order to preserve many of the
paintings of Lindsay Evans, now housed at the Barr Colony Heritage Cultural
Centre in Lloydminster.
Over the years, many of these Lloydminster painters received awards and recognition:
Solveig Jeffery had a painting purchased by the
Saskatchewan Arts Board for their permanent collection; Betty Penny, a long time
member won numerous awards and sold her paintings; local members, Wendy Foght
and Rose Koep won the Lindsay Evans Trophy; the Dr. A.Y. Jackson Trophy,
designed and given to the Lloydminster Art Club by A.Y.Jackson himself has been
awarded to Betty Penny, Peggy Ross, Solveig Jeffery, Ruth Reynolds, Marg Jameson
and Clara Reid.
Lindsay Evans continued to give freely of his time to the
art club over the years, instructing off and on, guiding and encouraging
members, and helping them display their work wherever possible.
Though the club officially ended in 1973 when the
Lloydminster Allied Arts began to take shape, a special anniversary show was
held in 1987, almost 50 years since its formation. It was opened by the Honorable Don Mazenkowski. Held in the
basement of the old Post Office, now approved by the city as an official
Heritage Site, it was called “Retrospective: the last 48 years”.
It was open to the public and featured much of the art of its members
over those years.
Written by Linda Nykolaychukfrom an interview with Olinda Tindall